The gal behind the Ballyhoo
Here’s some funny things you might want to know about me:
- I’ve been making dolls and soft toys as a hobby since the late 1980s. It was very trendy back then.
- My first embroidery machine was purchased around 2005. You had to put a design card in the machine because USB wasn’t a thing yet.
- I spent 15 years in the tech industry as an engineer, project manager and customer service expert.
- Writing technical manuals was good prep for writing sewing tutorials but nothing prepared me for video tutorials – video is so much harder.
- I love Sci-Fi conventions and Rennaissance fairs. And costumes.
- I was a huge NeRd before it was cool. And also, I love science.
- Oklahoma City is where I was born and where I live now, but I spent nearly 20 years in the Chicago/Southern Wisconsin area and still visit friends there.
- I love animals, even when they mess up my house.
- My daughter also runs a handmade business. Her style is very different than mine.
- Both DuhBe and Ballyhoo Bath were handcrafted businesses I created starting in 2009. I love the handmade world!
- Creating cloth characters has carried me through some rough times. Now I hope my designs can do the same for others.