In the Hoop Elf Art Doll package
Deck your halls with these unique and adorable Elves. Material kits are available to make this a fast and fun project!
These Elves are now available as kits! You can use your own materials, OR remove all the guesswork and get all the color-coordinated supplies at once. Kits are shipped via my Etsy shop and you’ll find a link below. (if you purchase a kit, you can get this design for free!)
- Designed as poseable art dolls with wire armatures. Don’t worry – it’s easier than you think!
- Finished size is around 11″ tall.
- Each elf requires 2 hoopings: one for body/hat, and another for the head (optional 3rd hooping for wig if desired)
- Elves come in medium size only – the body requires a 6×10 hoop, while the heads use a 4×4 hoop.
- If you have a Viking, Singer or Pfaff: I’ve already resized the Elf body to fit your 6×10 hoop.😉
- Face designs, head seams, hat, and body/limb seams are all stitched in-the-hoop of your embroidery machine.
- A bit of hand stitching will close up the body and head. All other items like fur trim or hair can be glued with fabric glue or hot glue. (super fast!)
- Fleece fabric is strongly recommended for this body design. The head requires stretch fabric to get the dimensional features.
- Complete Instructions with color photos are included.
- Free project video tutorial is linked in the instructions document. If you are new to dollmaking – There is also a free series of dollmaker videos for all the techniques used in this doll.
- These dolls are designed as ART dolls for holiday home decor, not play dolls for small children. Please do not insert wire armatures into dolls intended for small children.
- The Elf doll design can be mixed and matched with other heads and add-ons in the cloth character category. So you have endless options to create a truly custom set of Elves for your holiday home.
All designs are digital downloads for embroidery machines. Files will be available immediately after purchase on a download page.
- Estimated time to complete: 1-3 hours depending on skill level
- Estimated Skill Level: intermediate (or confident beginner willing to watch videos) (rated intermediate for fussy cutting, turning small parts, multiple steps to follow)
Be sure to check the tabs above for more info like Supplies, and Specs
Your downloaded .ZIP file will include multiple sizes and machine formats in case you upgrade your machine to a bigger hoop or different brand, you’ll still be able to use these designs!
The .ZIP file contains these machine file formats:
And comes in sizes for these hoops:
Please check the photos for exact design dimensions in millimeters to ensure it fits the hoops on your machine.
Number of Hoopings for this project: 2 (body/Hat, head)
Documents included in your download:
- PDF instructions with color photos and link to video tutorial
- License file (commercial use allowed, you can sell the dolls you make)
- PDF design details for each design
- Photo of finished project
Max purchase quantity = 1
• Embroidery machine with 6×10 hoop or larger
• Sharp fabric scissors
• Small Hemostats or other tool for turning small parts
• Stuffing tool (stuffing fork, hemostats, chopstick)
• Long doll needle and strong thread for closing the seam openings
• (Optional) pliers and wire cutters for wire armature
• For head: 2 pieces: 5” x 5” doll skin stretch jersey
• For body/hat: 1 piece 14” wide by 11” length fleece, minky or stretch jersey
• For Hair: faux fur 8” wide by 3” length with fur pointing downward in 3” direction
• Machine Embroidery Stabilizer:
• No-show mesh stabilizer can be used for the head and body hoopings
• 1 yard of thin fur trim such as faux fur yarn
• You choice of Fabric Glue (Fabri-tac® glue or Surebonder® fabric hot glue sticks are suggested)
• Small buttons, beads or sticky rhinestones for the lapel buttons
• Machine Embroidery thread to coordinate with your fabrics, plus thread for facial features and bobbin thread.
• Fiberfill stuffing
• Armature wire if making your own armature (see video link on page 2)