Looking for a quick and easy project to make on your embroidery machine? This trio of ghosts can be made into Felties or Applique for fun Halloween projects. Use the felties to embellish a gift, hang a bunting, or give away. The applique can go on anything from clothing to table coverings, or even a journal like in the video below.
The same files can be used for either Feltie or Applique designs with a simple change of steps…
To make a Feltie :
- stitch the placement line on tear-away stabilizer
- place felt inside the placement area and stitch the face
- then place felt on the back of the hoop and stitch the outline
- remove from hoop, tear away the stabilizer and cut out the ghost
To make an applique:
- stitch the placement line on your stabilized fabric
- place the felt inside placement area and stitch the face
- stitch the outline
- cut away excess felt from the ghost
I made a ghost journal using the applique method with the 4×4 grinning ghost and also the 5×7 shifty-eyed ghost.
The trio of ghost felties come in both 4×4 and 5×7 hoop sizes. The downloadable .ZIP file includes 3 ghost designs in both sizes and all 9 machine formats: PES, DST, EXP, VP3, VIP, SHV, XXX, JEF, HUS.
PDF files for templates and instructions are also included in the bundle.
Tools & Materials
- You will need the machine embroidery designs from Ballyhoo (see shop links below)
- fabric, felt, thread
- chipboard cut to size of your preferred journal. The short video uses the Sizzix wrapped journal die to cut out the cover with holes. (Amazon affiliate link) But you can hand cut a cereal box for the same effect.