These small character appliques can be done in a 4″ x 4″ hoop so anybody with an embroidery machine can try this easy project.
They can be hooped or framed as art. Or you can turn them into any flat project like coasters, pot holders, journals or dish towels using any sewing pattern of your choice.
- Embroidery Machine with files loaded
- machine needle appropriate for your fabric
- Sharp fabric scissors
- small curved embroidery scissors
- small hemostats (optional) for adding tiny bit of stuffing to nose or face
- fabric markers (optional) like Tulip markers used in video
- embroidery stabilizer
- non-fraying fabrics like felt or jersey
- base fabric
- skin colored fabric
- hair fabric
- fabric for shirt/top or hat
- Dark top thread like black or charcoal
- bobbin thread
After the applique was done on printed quilt fabric, a coordinating backing fabric was placed over this guy, right sides together, and stitched leaving an opening at the bottom. Then it was turned inside-out and top-stitched to make an easy coaster on the sewing machine.
This gal was stitched onto plain white muslin. That muslin was then used to create a fabric envelope.
Hopefully that will get you started with some character appliques. I’ll update with links to more project tutorials using these designs and NEW ones as they become available.